SE POLAND SHTETL LINKS: Bilgoraj | Chelm | Czemierniki | Dubienka | Grabowiec | Hrubieszow | Krasnystaw | Krylow | Laszczow
Lublin | Opatow | Parczew | Piaski | Radzyn | Rejowiec | Szczebrzeszyn | Tomaszow | Zamosc | Sawin | Swierze | Tyszowce | Zolkiewka
two parts: Lubelski (or Stary) and Fabryczny. The old Kraśnik, where the historic buildings
are located, is Kraśnik Lubelski. The town is located 49 kilometers southwest of Lublin. Jews
lived in Kraśnik dating back to at least 1531. In 1631 there were 300 Jews out of 3,300 people.
The community numbered 1,353 persons in 1765 (921 in the town itself). The majority of the Jewish
workers in town were tailors. The Jewish population was 1,778 in 1857, a little more than half of the
total population, and 3,261 in 1897, or 50% of the total population. In 1921 the Jewish population
numbered 4,200. Over 5,000 Jews lived in Kraśnik before the outbreak of World War II.
The Great Synagogue in Kraśnik was established shortly after the settlement of Jews at the end of
the 16th century. The first mention about the synagogue dates back to 1593. It was rebuilt at a
different location, Bozniczna street, after a fire in 1637. A brick-based synagogue which could house
300 men and 400 women was constructed between 1637 and 1654. In 1875 the synagogue was
renovated. The main prayer room had a surface wooden tunnel vault. After the end of the war in 1945
the building was renovated and used as workshops for a crafts cooperative. In 2005 the Foundation
for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage gained ownership. It is now open to visitors at cost, and the
proceeds go toward preservation. There is also a plan to renovate the whole synagogue complex
and to establish a cultural and educational center inside, which would be part of the "Hassidic Trail".
A smaller synagogue also sits on Bozniczna Street. It was erected between 1823 and 1857. There
are five painting layers on the synagogue walls and three decoration painting layers on the ceiling.
The synagogue was wrecked during the Holocaust, but is in the process of being restored. Like the
large synagogue, it will be part of the "Hassidic Trail". A multimedia library is planned at the location.
Numerous private houses of prayer existed in Krasnik before the war. Specifically, at the houses of
Ejger, Fogel, Klarfeld, Kohen, Lamhaut, Milerman, Niderman, Rajzman, Sztetelman, Tanenbaum,
Wajsbrot, Waks, Wisniak, Wolberg, Zajdenfeld, and Zysberg. There was also a mikvah on Bagno St.
The German army entered the town in September, 1939 and established a ghetto in August, 1940.
In total, about 6,000 Jews were confined to this ghetto. Others from the town were relocated to a
labor camp and ghetto in Zaklikow. On April 12, 1942, around 2,000 Jews were deported to the
Belzec Death Camp. On Nov. 1 another 2,700 were sent to Belzec. Five-hundred Jews -- mainly
from Krasnik -- were brought to the Budzyn Labor Camp in November, 1942. Budzyn was just 5
kilometers northwest of Kraśnik. This labor camp became a subcamp of the Majdanek
Concentration Camp. In the years 1940-1941 another labor camp for Jews was formed in the area
of "Benzynowka" on Lubelska Street. The barracks of the camp were inhabited by hundreds of Jews,
mainly from Krasnik and the neighboring areas. The prisoners were employed in the construction of
earthworks and the assembly of petrol containers. Those who could not endure the slave labor were
shot by the Nazis in the nearby woods and buried in the mass graves. In May of 1941 the Nazis
killed several Jewish children, ages 6-12, who came to see their parents and relatives in the camp.
In total about 3,000 Jews were in this camp. The camp is discussed in the book "Codename Barber"
about Jewish partisan Mischa Stahlhammer. There was a mass escape attempt in February of 1944.
Only seven of the prisoners ended up escaping and those caught escaping were executed.
When the Russians approached Krasnik, a large number of the camp prisoners were transported to
other camps further west. Just 300 Jews remained by July, 1944. Out of a population of more than
5,000 Krasnik Jews, an estimated 350 survived the Holocaust. Those who survived left Poland.
Jews in the Krasnik area were also sent to the following places through the war period: Goscieradow:
200 Jews; Janiszow: 900 Jews were forced into labor on irrigation works; Lysakow: 500 Jews had
forced work in a quarry; and Rachow: 500-600 Jews had forced work at a mine.
The "synagogue" labor camp was established in the ghetto (Szkolna Street and Boznicza streets).
It was located near the synagogue. After the ghetto's dissolution and transportation of the Jewish
population to the death camps, tailors, shoemakers and carpenters who had survived were employed
by the Germans to work in the camp. They were given the task to renovate a few buildings for the
Germans and to finish building of a tenement house in Pilsudskiego Street. In March of 1941 the
camp numbered about 200 Jews. The camp commandant was Alois Groger. The guards were: Franz
Bartetzko, Klein, Koplok, A. Nazaruk and W. Zdonczuk. The Jewish militia, composed of 12 people,
was led by P. Kawa. Work in the camp lasted a dozen or so hours a day. The members of the staff
created a theatre in the synagogue where poems of the Jewish poets were presented. Jews at the
camp got in touch with the guerrilla fighters in Rzeczyca at beginning of 1944. A Jewish security
guard named Kasjan was the leader. Their objective was to prepare an escape on a large scale. The
commandant of the Jewish militia, Mr. Kawa, participated in the preparations of the action. When the
Nazis discovered the plot, dozens of Jews were shot by firing squad. The liquidation of the camp was
conducted by Bartetzko. Surviving Jews were sent to Annopol or the Plaszow concentration camp.
The Nazis who carried out the murders in Krasnik were: Odilo Globocnik, Otto Hantke, Reinhold Feix,
Alois Groger, Jakob Sporrenberg, Erich Augustin, Karl Streibel, Meizen, Klein, Hans Lenk, Hanelt,
Laufs, Rau, Pronenberg, Schlesinger, Naumann, Krener, Krieger, Georgi, Ulbrich, Offerman, Mutersbach.
At the park on Sikorskiego Street there is a granite commemorative plaque fixed to memorialize
the victims murdered by the Nazis from 1940-1944. It was brought from the Urzedow Forest in
1964. In the building of Primary School No. 2 in Krasnik located at 10 Urzedowska Street, a
commemorative plaque was set in the wall with the Polish and Jewish inscriptions dedicated to
the Jewish students and teachers of the school who were murdered by the Nazis in the years
1939-1944. The plaque was funded by the Nissenbaum family's Foundation in April of 1990.
There are three Jewish cemeteries in the town. The cemetery on Podwalna Street was founded in the
late 16th century and contained gravestones from the 16th and 17th centuries. The cemetery was
destroyed during the Holocaust. The area of the cemetery was built up and no tombstones were
preserved. The cemetery near Strazacka Street was founded in the second half of the 17th century.
It was situated about 200 meters to the southwest of the market in Strazacka Street. The last burial
took place at the beginning of the 19th century. The Nazis also devastated this cemetery. No grave-
stones survived. Currently there is a park at this location. The new Jewish cemetery at Szewska St.
was established in the first half of the 19th century. The last known burial was held in 1943. From April
to November of 1942 the Nazis conducted mass executions of the Jews in this cemetery. The area is
surrounded by a wall and a monument has been erected to commemorate the Jews murdered by the
Nazis during the Holocaust. The cemetery was cleaned up in 2006 by Israeli soldiers at the request of
Yad LeZehava Holocaust Research Institute and the Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage.
About ten gravestones are visible, and other gravestones are shattered or incomplete. A local group
called the Regional Society of the Krasnik Lovers takes care of the monuments in the city.
Please donate to the Jewish Records Index - Poland translation of Krylow records.
Without your support, we can't appropriately memorialize our families.
Please review the site content below. Zachor - We Remember.
[Surnames] [History] [Holocaust] [Wikipedia - Kraśnik]
[Overview of Jewish Community and Chasidic Life]
[Family Research in Southeast Poland]
[Kraśnik Yizkor Book]
Click to subscribe to Krasnik
Learn more at the Belzec Remembrance Project
Among the Jews who were murdered in the 1941-1944, the names of 55 victims from Krasnik were established:
Benjamin Grinapel, Abram Graf, Zelik Goldner (Bozniczna Street), Ela Lederfajn (Szkolna Street),
unknown Erlich, Jenta Rajndel, Wolf Rajndel, Gela Wajsbrot, Josek Beck, Frajda Dawidson,
Choma Erlich, Ita Erlich, Abram Erlich, Judka Gutfrajnd (Wesola Street), Dawid Hirszbaum,
Sarna Kessel (Narutowicza Street), Tauba Rozenbusch, Hudesa Rozenbusch (Kosciuszki Street),
Choma Rozenbusch (Kosciuszki Street), Abram Szafran (Narutowicza Street), Rojza Szafran
(Narutowicza Street), Majer Wajnberg (Narutowicza Street), Walla Wajnberg (Narutowicza Street),
Bajka Zajac (Narutowicza), Zelik Beatus (18 Szkona), unknown Bankowska, Rachela Klocender.
Among the Jews from Krasnik who were shot by firing squad in the labour camp in Budzyn were
the following persons: unknown Cymerman, Aron Fajngold (Trzydnik), unknown Ferst (Lodz), unknown
Fersztman (Belzyce), Kuszel Mogiluk (Smorgonie), Mojzesz Nudelman, Anciel-Jankiel Pomaranc,
Dr. Pupko (Warsaw), unknown Rozencwajg, Josef Szwarcman (Janow Lubelski), unknown Wurman
(Trzydnik), unknown Zabner (Warsaw), Fajwel Zajdenwerk (Zaklikow), Chaskiel unknown surname,
Chaskiel Met, unknown Dajtel (Krakow), Jozef Golab (Trzydnik), unknown Herszkowicz (Warsaw),
unknown Lewkowicz (Warsaw), unknown Szwarchard, Fryda Fiterman (Gesia Street), Izrael Fiterman
(Gesia Street), Bela Kawa (Gesia Street), Berek Kawa (Gesia Street), Pejsach Kawa (Gesia Street).
Some additional victims are listed here.
Interior of Krasnik's Great Synagogue.
Exterior of Krasnik's Great Synagogue. The outside has been renovated since this photo was taken.
Exterior of Krasnik's Small Synagogue.
A Krasnik resident in front of German signs instructing locals how to act.
A group from Krasnik and nearby Izbica, undated. Izbica residents are identified in the photo as follows:
Avraham Brinker, Moshe Roch, Shmuel Akerman, Tshipa Brinker, Chaim Aler, Shmuel Elboim, Shimshon Vasserman.
Jewish girls in Krasnik, 1934.
Murder victims from Bychawa near Krasnik.
Jewish children from Urzedow, near Krasnik.
Szajnbrum family from Urzedow.
The family Zylberberg before the war.
Jews being humiliated during the evacuation in Krasnik, 1940/41.
A photo of the Krasnik Work Camp. This Camp imprisoned artisans and craftsmen.
Photo courtesy of Moshe Kron.
A group of Krasnik Jews being forced to hold each others' beards for humiliation.
Holocaust survivors from Krasnik at a memorial at the Zeilsheim, Germany DP Camp.
The same group in a different photo pose. Awigdor Elbaum is one of the men pictured.
Survivors from Krasnik, from the Yizkor book.
A photo taken in 1966 of Ogrodowa Street in Krasnik, where Jews used to live. No longer.
A memorial at the Budzyn Labor Camp where thousands of Kransik Jews were sent.
Jews who survived slave labor at Budzyn were sent to Majdanek, Wieliczka, Mielec, or another camp to be murdered.
Memorial at Krasnik Jewish Cemetery.
Up-close view of the memorial.
Desecrated gravestones still present at the Jewish cemetery.
Join the Krasnik group on Facebook!
City of Krasnik:
- Article: Bar Mitzvah takes family back to old Ostrovtzer Synagogue
- Congregation Anshei Krasnik in Brooklyn, New York
- Krasnik Yizkor Book Online (no English)
- Revitalization of the Krasnik Synagogue
- Society for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage in Poland: Krasnik
- Sefer Krasnik: Yizkor Book
- Synagogue Revitalization
There was a shul on the lower east side of Manhattan called
Anshei Krashnik Lubliner Gubernia which had 107 members.
Its president was Morris Bernstein; Secretary, Hyman Wertheim
Cemetery Plots of Krasnikers in NY - Listing of Surnames
Belzec Concentration Camp
Budzyn Labor Camp (see also: Budzyn Camp)
A Description of Budzyn
Krasnik Labor Camp (Skret/WIFO)
Majdanek Concentration Camp
Families of Krasnik:
Survivors of Krasnik and Urzedow:
Note: Additional survivors listed in Pinkas HaNitzolim II and Sharit haPlatah
Jack Adelstein (testimony)
Dawid Ajzen (went to Sweden)
Abraham Bergman (testimony)
Esther Hauszpiegel Bielski
Laca Bojm (went to France)
Joseph Fox (Fuks)
Chaja Goldbaum (video testimony)
Hersz Josef Gutwillig
Moszko Chaim Gutwillig
Abe Hill (Abram Himelblau)
Wolf Hall (Hauszpiegel) (testimony)
Ethel Kirschenbaum (testimony)
Ryfka Konn (went to England)
Michal Mazur (video testimony)
Abram Milchman (Milechman)
Zvi Hersh Rozenbush
Hersz Rozenel (went to Sweden)
Lejb Rozenel (went to Sweden)
Mordechai Zysberg (Sisberg)
Rabbis of Krasnik:
Abraham Eiger, 19th century
Izrael Abner Grynbaum
Moshe Furman, cantor
Reuven Azriel Zysberg
- Rabbi Volf Greenglass
- Wolf Wajsbrot
Righteous Gentiles of Krasnik:
- Jozef Baranowski saved Basia Tenenbaum by hiding
her with Aleksander and Apolonia Oldak
- Edwarda Bos
- Maciejewski family
- Marianna Pawezka helped hide a teenage Jewish girl
- Sikora family
Remember Your Family:
The DNA Shoah Project: Connecting Descendants
Central Judaica Database - Museum of History of Polish Jews
Grandchildren of Holocaust Survivors on Facebook
Guide to the YIVO Archives
Holocaust News/Events from Generations of the Shoah Int'l
Holocaust Survivors and Victims Database
JewishGen Family Finder
JewishGen Holocaust Database
JRI-Poland: Search for Your Family
Museum of History of Polish Jews Introduction
Yad Vashem: Search for Your Family
Yad Vashem: Submit Names of Your Family Members
Yad Vashem Requests Photos of Shoah Survivors and Families
Jewish Records Indexing Poland - Krasnik
Jewish Vital Records in the Polish State Archives
U.S.: Aaron, firstname.lastname@example.org