SE POLAND SHTETL LINKS: Bilgoraj | Chelm | Czemierniki | Dubienka | Grabowiec | Hrubieszow | Izbica | Krasnik | Krasnystaw | Laszczow
Lublin | Opatow | Parczew | Piaski | Radzyn | Rejowiec | Szczebrzeszyn | Tomaszow | Zamosc | Sawin | Swierze | Tyszowce | Wlodawa | Zamosc
Krylow is 20 km. south of Hrubieszow, situated on the Bug River on the border with Ukraine.
A nearby village called Prehoryle, with around 400 people, was previously a part of Krylow.
Krylow is now longer its own place in Poland and is incorporated with the village of Mircze.
The first mention of the Jewish community in the village of Kryłów was in 1563.
The location of the village on the main road contributed to its economic development. Weekly
market days took place in the village as well as six fairs a year. Many of the residents were
involved in shoe-making and weaving of cloth and linen. In 1915 the village was occupied by the
Germans, who remained until 1918. From 1823 to 1862 the Russian authorities forbade Jews to
live in Krylow because of its proximity to the Austrian border. Still, it appears that many Jews
were living in the village during this period anyway. During the First World War many Jews left
the village because of its close proximity to the battlefront and moved to larger towns in the area.
In 1676, 42 Jews lived in the village. The Jewish population numbered 45 in 1676 and grew to 227
by 1736. Kryłów placed restrictions on settlement in 1823, when the Jewish population
numbered 186. In 1856, there were 537 Jews in the shtetl. In 1860, the total population was 1,219
residents, including 588 Jews. In 1860 the village had two brick houses, 114 wooden houses,
two inns, one mill, and two ferry boats. In 1860 there were 60 farmers, 50 traders, 38 craftsmen of
16 varying crafts, and 10 other workers in the village. There were 2,314 inhabitants and 1,512 Jews
in 1897 and 1,286 inhabitants and 750 Jews in 1921. Many of the Jewish inhabitants left the village
during World War I. Leading up to WWII, there were at least 1,500 residents living in the village.
It is unclear how many Jews perished in the Holocaust from the village, but only a small group survived.
The Jews in the village that stayed there were confined to the ghetto, and subsequently deported to the
death camp Belzec, and possibly Majdanek, in summer 1942. It appears that this number was
relatively low, between 150 and 750 Jews. Some of the Jews in the Krylow ghetto may have been from
outside locations. The bulk of the residents in the village likely had left prior to the establishment of the
ghetto, crossing into the modern Ukraine (Wolyn district, which was then a part of Poland). Many of the
Krylow Jews had relatives in locations there, such as Wlodzimierz Wolynski and Ustilug and Poryck.
Jews in the Ukraine (former Poland) were gunned down by the German Einsatzgruppen. The Jews of
Krylow who had fled to Wolyn province were murdered in Piatydnie (along the road between Ustilug and
Wlodzimierz Wolynski) or in the area of Poryck (also in Wolyn area -- south of Wlodzimierz) before the
end of summer, 1942. More data about the Piatydnie and Poryck Pogroms is available.
The Jewish community in the village of Krylow ceased to exist by the end of the summer of 1942.
The synagogue and Jewish cemetery were destroyed in the Holocaust. The Kryłów
cemetery was located at the north side of Nadbuzna Street, parallel to main road alongside the
ridge of the Bug river valley. At this location is a small creek and a river stream called Buzek.
Gravestones are present at the cemetery, but none of them are in their original locations. In
1994, two tombstones were found and re-erected by a volunteer caretaker from Kryłów.
A local resident reported seeing a gravestone at Hrubieszowskiej Street at the Szpindow residence.
In the present Krylow, there is a monument dedicated to Christian victims of the Ukrainian
uprising, but there are no monuments dedicated to the Jewish victims of the community.
In 2012, there was a cleaning of the Jewish cemetery by the non-Jewish residents of the town,
including: Jaroslaw Chachula, Stefan Gancarz, Marek Kolcon, Grazyna and Henryk Zurawski.
They reported that there are five visible gravestones, including one from as early as 1876.
No Yizkor book exists to remember the Jewish residents of the village. If you visit the Jewish cemetery,
please note that the monument marking its location is not actually where the cemetery is located.
Instead, the cemetery is behind the house located at Nadbudzna Street #12. The only way to access
this location is to go through the yard of the resident living at this locale. Additionally, as of 2016,
the cemetery is in very poor condition with overgrowth from local brush and weeds. Also present
in the current cemetery location is an influx of ticks, which spread lyme disease. Be careful.
Please review the site content below. Zachor - We Remember.
[Surnames] [History] [Holocaust]
[Wikipedia - Kryłów] [Krylow Jews killed in Wolyn]
[Old Cemetery] [Map of Kryłów]
[1929 Business Directory Listing for Krylow]
[Family Research in Southeast Poland]
from Warsaw, lists the following Jewish business leaders in the village in 1929:
Betonowe wyroby - concrete production. Biterman Szmul; Klajner Dawid; Eger (or Ajger) Kos; Szyler Abus
Blawaty - clothing. Grinwald F.; Gromb J.; Kam S.; Kessel M.E.; Szturm I.; Szlechter L.
Bydlo handel - cattle trade. Lebert A.
Cegielnie - brickyard. Bichler L.; Bier M.
Fryzjer - barber. Berger H., Sztajnberg A.
Galanteria - fancy goods. Krajner N.; Zynger B.; Zysman Ch.
Jad-odajnie - restaurant. Golab P.
Jaja - eggs. Mondszajn K.
Kolonialne art. - groceries. Unruch S.
Kowale - blacksmith. Hryniewicz M.
Krawcy - tailor. Bidler B.; Beden B.; Salit D.
Lasy eksploatacja - forest explorer. Biterman J.; Wajntraub W.
Maka - flour. Ros J., Zynger D.
Piekarze - bakers. Rojter J.; Sztycer A.; Szyler H.; Berger G.; Szapl. K.
Rozne towary - various food goods. Bichler H.; Bichler L.; Biterman L.; Kroperman R.; Szmurak Ch.
Rzeznicy - butcher Brener A.; Golab Sz.; Kanel J.; Szczucki I.; Szutowski K.; Topol S.; Berger M.
Skory - skins. Bichler M.; Szturm B.; Szturm L.
Spozywcze art - food and beverage. Arfin M.; Biterman Ch.; Biterman R.; Engelsberg J.; Engelsberg R.; Flis Ch.
Flis J.; Fuks Sz.; Krajner B.; Krajner L.; Lacher G.; Najman E.; Nirensztajn E.; Perelmuter Sz.; Pracon A.
Rosenfeld Sz.; Szturm Ch.; Szyler H.; Wajntraub M.; Wertman C.; Wertman H.; Bichler Ch.; Cwylich K.; Grinbaum Ch.
Stolarze - carpenter. Hocyk K.
Szewcy - shoemakers. Gorski L.; Janusz T.; Lesniewski S.; Marciszuk F.
Tytoniowe wyroby - tobacco products. Kazimierak J.; Szutowski R.
Woda sodowa - soda/water. Bichler L.
Wyszynk trunkow - alkohol (retail of liquor). Buszkowa W.; Kasprzyk J.; Rzadca F.
Zboze - grain. Bichler A.; Gertel J.; Krajner D.; Szturm M.
Click to subscribe to Krylow
Map of Krylow marking known Jewish sites.
A pre-war picture of residents at the Krylow Jewish cemetery, now destroyed.
Circa 1938: A photo of the Jewish quarter that no longer exists, top left. The now-vacant castle of Krylow on an island in the Bug River, at right.
Pre-war fishing on the Bug River.
A Jewish carpentry shop, circa 1920, on (Hrubieszowskiej) Hrubieszowska Street.
H. Biterman, H. Szuper, (unknown) Huber, (unknown) Tkaczuk, and (unknown) Bartosz.
Rojza Frenkiel (nee Gelertner) from Krylow, Shoah survivor. Circa 1947 in Germany.
Family Truk, from Krylow and Zamosc.
Classmates from nearby Hrubieszow, including Varda Halberstein.
and their parents went to Peru before the war. Yechezhkel was murdered in his house.
Zeev Wolf Bitterman is believed to be in the photo. Contact us if you can identify anyone.
Dubienka 1931. Included: Pnina Roiter (front left), Goldberg (right side), and others unknown.
Contact us if you can identify anyone in the photo.
Shlomo and Ruchla Golomb of Krylow, born circa 1880.
There was a wooden synagogue in Krylow in the mid-18th century, though it had
probably been founded much earlier. It was situated on the small market square,
on the northern corner of town, near the Bug River. In later years, the wooden
synagogue was replaced by one made of brick (see below picture), and the plans for
the brick shul were approved in 1893. The wooden synagogue burned down circa 1915.
The Jewish community created a brick synagogue with metal sheet roofing. The front view is on the left side and side
view is on the right side. The shul and adjacent prayer house operated until it was destroyed by the Nazis.
And on the land where the synagogue was, today we find ...
This is where the old Jewish quarter was located. No buildings or structures remain.
Krylow Jewish Holocaust survivor Barry Weintraub visited the town in 2010.
Join the Krylow group on Facebook!
Village of Krylow:
Krylow Portal (in Polish)
Jews of Krylow (in Polish)
Pinkas Hakehillot Polin: Krylow
Families of Krylow:
Rabbis of Krylow:
Dawid Zyngier (or Zinger), mid-19th century
Tzvi Landman, 1880-1890
Yerachmiel Mordechai Weinberg, 1898-1915
Aryeh Leib Rokeach (born 1889)
Yehuda Lejb Sznicer, ~1918-1941
Survivors of Krylow:
Sara Biterman Kiper
Brache "Beatrice" Bichler Jorden
Esther Stengel Mandel
Chana Biterman Mermelstein
Zlata Cwilich Szlechter
Remember Your Family:
The DNA Shoah Project: Connecting Descendants
Central Judaica Database - Museum of History of Polish Jews
Grandchildren of Holocaust Survivors on Facebook
Guide to the YIVO Archives
Holocaust News/Events from Generations of the Shoah Int'l
Holocaust Survivors and Victims Database
JewishGen Family Finder
JewishGen Holocaust Database
JRI-Poland: Search for Your Family
Museum of History of Polish Jews Introduction
Yad Vashem: Search for Your Family
Yad Vashem: Submit Names of Your Family Members
Yad Vashem Requests Photos of Shoah Survivors and Families
Jewish Records Indexing Poland - Krylow
Jewish Vital Records in the Polish State Archives
Yad Vashem Listings for Krylow, Poland
U.S.: Aaron, firstname.lastname@example.org