SE POLAND SHTETL LINKS: Bilgoraj | Chelm | Czemierniki | Dubienka | Grabowiec | Hrubieszow | Krasnik | Krasnystaw | Krylow
Lublin | Opatow | Parczew | Piaski | Radzyn | Rejowiec | Sawin | Szczebrzeszyn | Tomaszow | Zamosc | Swierze | Tyszowce | Wlodawa | Zamosc
district and town have a current population of 9,000 residents. The administrative district now
includes many smaller villages. Neighboring administrative districts include Jarczów and Tyszowce.
The town is 25 km. (16 miles) east of Tomaszow Lubelski and 10 km. south of Tyszowce.
The population in 1630 numbered 422. By 1643, the number of Jewish houses in the village was
3 out of 70 total. At the end of the 17th century, an independent kehilla was established at Łaszczów.
Prayer houses for the Chassidim of Belz, Turzysk, Radzyn and Husyatin were established in town.
By the mid-1700s, the number of Jews living in the village was ~600. In 1820, the population totaled
411, 347 of which (84%) were Jews. They made a living through trade (mostly in grain) and crafts.
Their houses were located in the Market Square (Rynek) surroundings. By 1842, the population of the
village was 1,160 people including 933 Jews (80%). In 1856, the population decreased to 1076,
while the percentage of Jewish population rose to 93% (1,010 people). In 1902, the Łazsczów
population was 2,600 people, including 2,366 Jews (91%). Before the breakout of the war, the Jewish
population constituted 99% of the inhabitants of the village of Łazsczów, probably around 2,500 persons.
World War I was rough on the community after it fell under the control of Russia. On Sept. 5th, 1920,
three Russian soldiers arrested Rabbi Glass. He was finally released after a hefty ransom was paid.
Between September 10th and 13th of 1920, the Cossacks killed a Jewish woman, raped 100 others,
and injured 60 additional Jews in town. They also robbed the residents of money and jewels.
After this point some of the residents left the town. Others stayed, and lived in virtual poverty. The
residents were engaged in small trading, peddling and crafts. Welfare institutions operating in Łazsczów
included: Provident Funds, Bikur Cholim, and Linat Zedek. This period also saw the establishment of
a Cooperative Bank. During the economic crisis of 1928-1931, when incomes were reduced, many
Jews were saved from hunger by these institutions. The community was very Orthodox in character,
and in the 1920s and 1930s the influence of the Zionist movement made itself increasingly heard.
Prior to the war, the village was remembered by a former resident as one long street made of stones,
unpaved, with one a water pump serving the whole town. There was no electricity in the community.
The Nazis occupied Laszczow in the end of September of 1939. Acts of violence and looting were
routine after this point. Many of the local Polish inhabitants collaborated with the Nazis. On the third
day of the occupation, the Nazis assembled all the Jewish males in the market square, and after
robbing them of their few possessions they were sent to Grabowiec, and from there to the slave
labor camp at Zamosc. In 1940 a Judenrat of 12 members was established in Łazsczów, and
was at once ordered to supply slave labor and to collect money and valuables for the Nazis. All Jews
aged 12 and above were forced to wear a white armband with a blue Star of David on it. Sadly, on
May 17, 1942, the Nazis transported ~1,500 Jews to the Belzec Death Camp. Few of the transported people
managed to escape to a nearby forest. Only two people, neither of whom were from Laszczow, survived
the Belzec Extermination Camp. In the autumn 1942, the Nazis executed 28 Jews in the forest.
In June of 1944, Laszczow was burnt down by the Ukrainian Insurgent Army ("UPA").
The below Joint Distribution Committee listing includes names of 102 Jewish heads of household in
Laszczow. They include:
Salomea? Adler Fligel
Dwojra Friszer (or Friszman)
Szy...? Lejzor Ling
Sura Szajbew Laja Tenenbaum
Szy ...? Taub
May their names be remembered.
A Jewish printing house was established in the village in the 19th century. From 1914 to 1918
a synagogue and three houses of prayer functioned. The synagogue was located on Rycerska
Street. In 1770 the kehilla purchased two buildings from Count Szeptycki, a town owner.
The buildings were remains of the castle destroyed in battles of the Swedish Deluge. One of the
buildings (Knights' Hall) was turned into a synagogue, and the other one into the seat of the kahal
and a Jewish school. A description of the synagogue is available HERE. At present, only its ruins
exist, with roof and one of the walls thoroughly destroyed. An old house of prayer for women and
children was situated near the synagogue. It too was destroyed by the Nazis. It was remodeled after
the war and served as a fire brigade headquarters. It is now the cinema called "Strumyk".
A shelter for the poor and sick operated from 1919 onward. There was also a ritual slaughterhouse.
The Jewish cemetery in the village was located on Szopena Street, west of the Market Square. It
was destroyed by the Nazis and its gravestones were used to pave roads and squares. An animal
clinic was built on the cemetery's property after the war. In July 1990 a monument was placed in the
western part of the area where the cemetery stood. The monument is in Hebrew and in Polish. One
gravestone, from the 1920s, remains. The cemetery area is fenced thanks to a Shoah survivor in Israel.
Three mass tombs were established at this location. The tombs include the ashes of Jews from the
town as well as nearby locations like Zimna and Nadolcach. Jakub Erlich from Haifa created this initiative.
According to a letter dated October 10, 1947 from the Joint Distribution Committee, on behalf of
Holocaust survivors in Szczecin, 32 Jews from Krylow and 18 Jews from Laszczow were still living in
Szczecin in poor conditions as of the date of the letter. It is unclear what happened to these 50 survivors.
Please review the site content below. Zachor - We Remember.
[History] [Wikipedia - Laszczow]
[Cemetery] [Synagogues and Prayer Houses]
[Video: The Ruined Synagogue of Laszczow]
Click to subscribe to Tyszowce
Click to subscribe to Hrubieszow
Learn more at the Belzec Remembrance Project
The synagogue in Laszczow.
Market day in Laszczow.
A rare photo of the village of Jarczow, whose Jewish population was murdered in the Shoah.
Laszczow Jews murdered in the Holocaust.
Join the Laszczow group on Facebook!
Town of Laszczow:
Belzec Concentration Camp
Laszczow Memorial Site (Poland)
Laszczow Surname List
Holocaust Research Project: Belzec
Pinkas Hakehillot Polin: Jaczow
Pinkas Hakehillot Polin: Laszczow
Tyszowce Jewish Genealogy eGroup
Families of Laszczow:
Majdan Tatarski Ghetto Victims (Lublin) from Laszczow:
Faivel Phoebus Schiffer, poet
Rabbis of Laszczow:
Mordechai Zyskind, 1815
Yekutiel Szmul Glass, 1909-1941 (In 1920
Rabbi Glass was arrested by the Russians and a
ransom of 20,000 rubles was paid for his freedom.)
Survivors of Jarczow:
Shlomo and Leja Blutman
Survivors of Laszczow:
Fania Fejga (Szajt) Wertman
Righteous of Laszczow:
The Stefaniuk family hid Rywka Dichterman in the village of Navrosc for one year.
Jewish Records Indexing Poland - Laszczow
Jewish Vital Records in the Polish State Archives
Remember Your Family:
The DNA Shoah Project: Connecting Descendants
Central Judaica Database - Museum of History of Polish Jews
Grandchildren of Holocaust Survivors on Facebook
Guide to the YIVO Archives
Holocaust News/Events from Generations of the Shoah Int'l
Holocaust Survivors and Victims Database
JewishGen Family Finder
JewishGen Holocaust Database
JRI-Poland: Search for Your Family
Museum of History of Polish Jews Introduction
Yad Vashem: Search for Your Family
Yad Vashem: Submit Names of Your Family Members
Yad Vashem Requests Photos of Shoah Survivors and Families
U.S.: Aaron, LublinJewish@gmail.com